Hey everyone 🙂 this is just a quick draft of the itinerary I planned for our two week trip to Iceland. Hopefully, you find something helpful here.
First off I consider the place I am going, what temperature is there? What are the prices depending on the season? Where do I really want to visit? What is the most efficient, comfortable, and affordable mode of transportation?
- Preferably 4WD (This means it can drive in more rough terrains which is useful for Iceland)
- Insurance (I promise this will save so much money!!!)
- EX: Nissan Qashqai 4×4 DIESEL
- Call to check for:
- Credit deposit?
- Age 20 can rent 4WD?
- Unlimited Mileage?
- Gas is 9$ a gallon 😐
I pack light in general, one big coat, one small coat, four sweaters, a few pair of pants, my leggings, a bunch of underwear, and my swimsuit!
- Warm Clothing
- Hiking Boots
Now for the Itinerary
You better believe I plan like crazy, knowing everything in advance allows for such a peace of mind during the travels. Sure the unexpected happened but at least we were as prepared as possible, and I feel like we saw the most we could in the time we had. Super proud of us for that 🙂
Golden Circle: nice to see first, super touristy (we saw it last lol)
- Þingvellir National Park
- North American and Eurasian tectonic plate meets
- Bruarfoss Waterfall
- Strokkur Geyser
- Golden Falls
- 12 minutes from Golden Falls, Brúarhlöð
- 17 minutes Secret Lagoon (Bring Swimsuit)
- Kerid Crater Lake
- Nesjavellir Geothermal Power Plant?
May 23: Reykjavik (55 F// Rain @ 1pm)
Notice my awesome and intense checking of the weather… well turns out Iceland weather shifts dramatically in May so there’s that which is actually awesome because rainy days turn into a rainy half-hour. It’s a sight to see.
- Arrival at Reykjavik 5 a.m
- Pick up car
- Go to hotel// Sleep
- 1 hour to Reykjavik
- Hallgrímskirkja Church
- Sun Voyager
- Dinner with Bacem
During the first part of the stay, we pick up the car, get settled at the hotel, and meet my uncle in Reykjavik. Lucky for us because turns out dining out costs two to three times as much as New York City. Fortunately, grocery stores cost half the price and so that’s how we ate for most of our trip.
May 24: Rebekka? (55 F// Mostly Cloudy, chance of rain)
- Split Mound Cave, Raufarhólshellir
- The entrance is about 25 metres away from the road nr. 39
May 25: Golden Circle? (48 F// Rain all day)
- Out of the hotel and into the wild
- 9 am Pick up camping equipment @
- Barónsstígur 5
- 101 Reykjavik – Iceland
- +354 647 0569
I found this awesome website online for renting camping equipment, it was super affordable and really easy to find and use. I highly recommend it if you plan on staying out a while.
May 26: To Vik (49 F// 100% rain)
- Seljalandsfoss falls
- 20 minutes to Seljavallalaug outdoors pool
- 10 minutes to Skogafoss
- 10 minutes to Solheimasandur Plane Wreck
- 20 minutes to Dyrhólaey Arch
- 25 minutes to Black Beach
- Reynishverfi Rocks
- Vik Camping
May 27: To Hofn (48 F// Rain until 7pm)
- 52 minutes to Fjaðrárgljúfur Canyon
- 1 hr 2 min to Skaftafell
- Black Waterfall, Svartifoss
- 17 min to Hofskirkja Turf Church
- 29 minutes to Glacier Lagoon, Jökulsárlón (beach)
- 1 hr and 1 min to Hofn
May 28: To Egilsstaðir (If we arrive the 27th we get 64 F and no rain) (If we arrive the 28th, 55 F and rain)
- Random Coastal Views
- Búlandstindur strata
- Fardagafoss Waterfall
- 3 hr 12 minutes to Town Seyðisfjörður-
- This town on the shores of a fjord may be little but it boasts beautiful natural surroundings.
- 1 hr 27 minutes Borgarfjörður Eystri
- This fjord at the very end of east Iceland offers a lot of hiking paths and besides that, you may see cute puffins here.
May 29 and 30th: To Myvatn (52 F// mostly cloudy)
- 2 hour and 3 minutes Dettifoss
- Set in the Vatnajökull National Park, Dettifoss is estimated to be the most powerful waterfall in Europe
- 1 hour Lake Mývatn
- 24 minutes to Krafla-Viti Crater
- Námaskarð Volcanic mountain
- Myvatn Nature Baths 86$
- Grjótagjá Cave
- Krafla Power Station
- Hverfjall Cone
- 34 minutes away Hrossaborg Horse City?
- Hverfjall Cone
- JÖKULSÁRGLJÚFUR NATIONAL PARK
May 31: To Akureyri (63F // rain)
As the Itinerary gets longer I include all the things we could do, while also giving space for anything to change.
- Goðafoss Waterfall
- 1 hour 12 minutes to Akureyri
- 1hour 24 minutes Skagafjörður (horses?)
June 1 and June 2:
- 2 hours To Fjords Base
- Hvitserkur near Blonduos
- 5 hours to Dynjandi in West Fjord depending on weather
June 3: Kirkjufell
- 5 hours from West Fjord to Ólafsvík, Iceland
- Snæfellsjökull National Park
- Ytri Tunga Beach
- Lóndrangar Cliffs
- Basalt Cliffs Gerðuberg